March is National Nutrition Month and a great opportunity to help your employees practice healthy eating habits and celebrate the overall wellness benefits of good nutrition. We know that healthy eating and good nutrition contributes to healthy, happy, productive employees and that it’s not easy to create a lifestyle of healthy eating.
Whether your workplace hosts a Healthy Eating Lunch & Learn, offers healthy snacks or provides Health Coaching, education and awareness are key to empowering your employees to make healthy choices. In support of National Nutrition Month, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics makes it easy for employers to make informed food choices and practice healthy eating habits. Check out the free Tool Kit below and help your employees have fun with the campaign for nutrition.
National Nutrition Month® 2018
National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign created annually in March by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign focuses attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
“Go Further with Food”is the theme for 2018, and its importance is timely for many reasons. Whether it’s starting the day off right with a healthy breakfast or fueling before an athletic event, the foods you choose can make a real difference. Preparing your foods to go further, by planning meals and snacks in advance can also help to reduce food loss and waste. This year’s theme for National Nutrition Month® encourages us to achieve the numerous benefits healthy eating habits offer, but it also urges us to find ways to cut back on food waste. Learning how to manage food resources at home will help you “Go Further with Food”, while saving both nutrients and money.
In addition, National Nutrition Month® promotes the Academy and its members to the public and the media as the most valuable and credible source of timely, scientifically-based food and nutrition information. “Go Further with Food,” a reminder to eat healthfully for ongoing energy and plan meals and snacks in advance to help reduce food loss and waste. Check out how these social media posts to share and engage your employees:
National Nutrition Month Tips and Key Messages:
- Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis.
- Consider the foods you have on hand before buying more at the store.
- Buy only the amount that can be eaten or frozen within a few days and plan ways to use leftovers later in the week.
- Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that’s right for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
- Continue to use good food safety practices.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Realize the benefits of healthy eating by consulting with a registered dietitian nutritionist. RDNs can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
For more information on how to incorporate nutrition and a culture of health and wellness at your workplace, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.